Having trouble with windows after disk checked at startup

F

Flip_5

When booting up my computer the other day, windows ran a drive scan on my laptop during startup. After which, I had trouble booting into windows, I would get the spinning dots for a few seconds, but instead of going to logon screen, the display would just be black. I could toggle shift lock light on the keyboard, so I was assuming maybe display issue. I tried with external monitor, with no luck. I have a second drive with a clean windows install which boots and functions fine. (So rules out any hardware issues, except maybe the drive itself)

I searched the net and tried sfc and a few other things, (I'm not sure what else I tried) now I can boot into windows but taskbar takes forever to populate icons, Hello, and PIN no longer work, start menu doesn't work and I have no access to my C: drive. (Access is denied)

In investigating my issue, I have noticed my machine name has changed from LAPTOP-GNJCN00I to LAPTOP-P3H1PGJA. Now, this drive used to be in a slightly older nearly identical laptop which had a defective display and has been running on this machine for months without issue. The P3H1PGJA is the old name from the old laptop. I am assuming this change has affected the permissions of my drive and files. I've tried changing the machine name back to LAPTOP-GCJCN00I.

I have also tried an older restore point from 2 weeks ago with no luck.

When I boot into safe mode, I can access C: but start menu still doesn't work.

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme gen 2

Intel Core i9-9880H

64Gb Ram

Nvme0: Samsung 970 2Gb (Affected drive)

Nvme1: Intel 660p 2Gb (Working clean windows install)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Flip

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom