Require sign-in after sleep not working (plugged in only)

B

brycetea

So a few days ago I noticed that if I shut my Asus laptop and re-open it, it opens straight to the desktop again. No sign-in required, despite all my computer settings displaying that it should require sign-in. After doing some troubleshooting, I have figured out that it only happens when plugged in to power. When on battery power, it wakes from sleep to the sign-in screen as intended.

My laptop:
Asus P5440UF

Intel UHD Graphics 620

NVIDIA GeForce MX130

My settings:

Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options > Require Sign-in > When PC wakes from sleep

Power Options > When I close the lid: Sleep (both battery and plugged in)

I checked in advanced power settings and don't see any conflicting settings that would prevent the computer from going to sleep. I tried setting everything to hibernate when I close the lid, updating the settings, restarting, and changing them back; that changed nothing.

I've also tried reinstalling the Intel display drivers and it had no effect. I'm a bit hesitant to completely uninstall the display drivers in case it causes more issues.

I found some tutorials online that mentioned using PowerShell to manually edit this setting. I used the provided commands but it seemingly did nothing. I also found older tutorials that mention editing the registry to modify this setting, but I don't even have the registry entries that the guides mention.

I'm a bit stumped here. Does anyone have any ideas for other solutions I can try? I find it especially weird that it works as intended on battery power but not when plugged in, and only was noticeable in the past few days. Thanks in advance!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom