Copying large files over network shared folder fail due to "not enough space"

B

Billy Cao

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with copying large files to another computer using the shared network folder function. Both computers are connected to the same router and in the same network via ethernet cable. I am able to copy any file small than 5.5GB, but if the total size of the files I were to copy at once exceeds that size, it will pop up an error saying I need more space (The amount of space needed is exactly the total size of all files - 5.5GB. I did multiple calculations from different files). I tried to copy 5 files that add up to 24GB, I'm able to copy them over one-by-one, but not at once (again will pop up the same out of space error). My drive is definitely having enough space, as everything works normally if I connect an external hard drive to the host computer and copy the exact same file that's larger than 5.5GB into the shared directory. The drive where the shared directory uses has more than 700GB of free space. I have never enabled quota settings for any drive and it shows as disabled in properties. Full permission was granted to all users that have access to the drive, and the fact that I can do everything normally for files smaller than 5.5GB shows the permission settings are normal. The drive I'm copying too is a 2-week old 1TB NVMe SSD.

Both computers are running Windows 10 Pro with latest updates, with well over 100GB free space on their drives. Everything else on both computers are normal. It does not matter the file type. Video, ZIP, ISO etc. all unable to copy over. Copying a folder that's larger than 5.5GB also has the same issue. And this happens to not only Copy and Paste, but also Cut and Paste.

All online searches point to quota settings and user permission, as well as not using NTFS, but I am very sure I did all these correctly. All drives are freshly formatted during Windows installation using NTFS.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom