Windows 10 PC locks up/freezes when gaming. I have to hard restart.

M

mattyb_98

Since I built my PC back in 2016 I have had a reccuring problem in which when I'm playing certain high-performance video games, my PC will suddenly freeze/lock up. I then have to hard reset it to get it going again. Because of the hard reset, I am not getting a BSOD and of course that means no dump files to analyse which makes things so much harder to pinpoint.

Between 2016 and now, I have gotten a new CPU, GPU, Memory, SSD, HDD and WiFi adapter. I feel its safe to rule those components out due the problem still persisting before and after all those changes. I've done numerous memory/disk scans along with stress tests which all come back as good. I've tried disabling services that I don't need along with updating chipsets, BIOS, drivers and Windows updates.

This problem used to happen with another high performance game until I upgraded my GPU which solved the issue for that game. I have noticed that my CPU is reaching up to 90 degrees in game, not sure why thats happening as the CPU's fan is connected properly and there is the right amound of thermal paste applied.

Specs

Windows 10 Home 64-bit version 2004

Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
16.0GB RAM
Gigabyte B150M-D3H-CF
GTX 1070 4095MB
SSD: Apacer AS340
HDD: WD 1863GB

PSU: HEXA 500

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom