pc crashes after installing the "video controller (VGA compatible)" driver

R

richodude

ISSUE/WHAT'S HAPPENING:

Device manager has been giving a lot of code 43's lately so when I went to install a driver called "video controller (VGA compatible)," The screen went black while still running and ultimately soft locked the computer. Whenever the PC gets turned back on, it boots all the way into the windows logo for about 3 seconds until it freezes. The pc then reboots and starts the process over.

HOW IT STARTED:
a few days ago I would get artifacts along with a freeze. A quick reboot would fix this. After 4-5 times of doing this, (at the time I thought it was just a dying PSU and would play until I needed a new one), my graphics card got code 43'd by dev manager. After a few times of tinkering with updating the drivers, my pc had enough and started doing what's listed above. This potentially could've started a week ago. I was in a discord call with my friend when suddenly I lost connection. My WiFi card in the pcie slot got disable by dev manager and what do you know, you can't search the internet for drivers without internet. It wasn't all bad as I got ethernet now.

WHAT HASNT WORKED:

windows does not boot far enough before freezing in order to reach winRE.

Using external media to download windows. (My SSD is the incompatible MBR format)

Setting the boot phase to always boot into safe mode.

Using the onboard graphics from the motherboard. (onboard but plugged into the GPU is fine)

WHAT I CAN DO:

sucessfully boot my PC using my old hard drive (6 mo old) but still have the device manager issues

clone my old hard drive onto my SSD

load into my mobo's UEFI

WHAT I HAVEN'T TRIED:

messing with all the drivers in safe mode

PROBABLE CAUSES:

most likely hardware

malfunctioning pcie slots on my mobo

a dying pgu

a dying psu

some software thing

WHAT IT CANT BE:

A virus or PUP

outdated windows version

outdated graphics driver

WHAT ULTIMATELY NEEDS TO BE FIXED:

My PC to boot properly and my GPU to run properly

WHAT IM DOING NOW:

absolutely nothing. every time I touch it and make it go forward, it seems to take 2 steps in the opposite direction D:

SPECS: (if it matters)

ASrock B450M-HDV R4.0 mobo

ryzen 5 3600 6-core

GTX 780 ti

16gb 2133mhz potenza

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom