Blues screen when I connect a second bootable drive to my system

M

murfaul

We use the Asus WS X299 SAGE/10G motherboard in a number of our products. We are releasing a new product that requires us to have two boot devices. Boot device 1 is the production system image and boot device 2 is a test image. The production system image (boot device 1) is installed in the m.2_2 slot during system assembly. The test image (boot device 2) is installed during product testing (I have tried the m.2_1 slot as well as a SATA port). We would like to install boot device 2 during testing, then disconnect and boot into the production image after for final product configuration. The motherboard is installed in a custom chassis with custom PCIe cards and a custom fan kit. The mechanics of the Fan kit and PCIe cards make it nearly impossible to install the m.2_2 drive (boot device 1/production image) after testing as it would require significant disassembly and reassembly (which would require retest).

I first tried installing boot device 2 in the m.2_1 slot while boot device 1 was installed in m.2_2 and found that the system blue screens when it tries to boot into windows. I then tried boot device 2 on a SATA drive and plugged into a SATA port. This had the same result. If I remove boot device 1 then the system will boot from boot device 2. It seems I can only have one or the other boot device installed. I have done this kind of thing on other motherboards in the past without a problem (not Windows 10 though). Both boot devices have Windows 10 loaded. Is there a BIOS setting that needs to be changed for this to work?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom