Screen freeze, but mouse and applications still works

H

HVu

Randomly, when exiting from a video in full screen (i.e. Youtube, Twitch, etc.) while playing games, the screen will "freeze." The mouse still works, I can move it around and interact with the application; I can also see the mouse move. The applications themselves still response to mouse clicks. I can technically shutdown/restart the system in this frozen state.

- Keyboard appears to still work also.

- Sound still works. However, I believe the video stop playing or emitting sound.

It is just that the whole screen (other than mouse) doesn't get updated/refresh.

I have to hard shutdown the system to restore functionality because I believe there is an application/task/something that is preventing the shutdown and I haven't memorize where that force shutdown button is located.

- I checked the event logs, there's no warning/errors other than system encountered a unexpected shutdown (from me doing the hard shutdown).

- I already tried doing a clean reinstall of the graphic driver.

- I have two monitors hooked up. Screen frozen on both monitor (again, I can see the mouse move across the monitors and interact with the system)

- A malware scan shows no issues (both Windows Defender and MalwareBytes)

- It is a relatively new issue. A couple of months ago, this never happened. I believe it started about a month or two ago.

I have no idea how to trigger this issue on demand. It happens randomly; system can run perfectly fine for days and this issue will randomly happen.

Running Windows 10 build 19041.508.

Graphic Card: GeForce RTX 2060. Driver version 452.06

I use Google Chrome Canary build 87.0.4262 to watch the videos

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom