User profiles and File Explorer USERS folders

A

azbarb

When I started up my new HP laptop it used my signon name to create a "myname" profile but it didn't create any files under /USERS/myname. I than created another account profile with"newname" with administrator permission as an emergency backup. That profile name was given a folder by it's name under /USERS/newname. I booted the laptop and when it came up using "myname" for signon it had files under /USERS but no data. Any data is being stored under "newname" Then when you look at the profiles "myname" is there but "newname" isn't. Any data created goes under "newname" in the USERS folders. It acts like the two were merged.

I deleted the /users/myname folder without a problem. I want to be able to separate my original profile from the second one. I want to have a "myname" profile with data files under /users/myname. I was going to save the files under "newname" to a thumb drive to be copied back if I could delete the "newname" profile and user data but halfway through it started having file can's be copied messages for a lot of files so I stopped. I can't create a profile with "myname" because a profile which can't be deleted already exists even though it uses /users/newname. I talked to a network engineer and he's stumped by how this could have happened and what I should do. I'd leave it alone but I know it'll bite me later. Already updating credentials doesn't seem to be working correctly. I have to keep inputting my credentials when I access things like my network drive.

I'm sure I haven't described this well but am hoping someone can tell me how to resolve this.

Continue reading...