CPU frequency not working well on Pentium N5000 in Windows 10

P

ProDigit

The Pentium N5000 is a 1.10 GHz CPU with a boost of 2.70 GHz, the CPU of my HP laptop, that's passively cooled.

Under 100% CPU load stock, it would throttle around 1,6Ghz after a while, when it would reach ~75-80C.

Under 100% CPU load, with an active fan, it would throttle around 2,59Ghz, with a max temperature of ~69C.

Under 100% CPU and GPU load, it would run at a throttled 1,2-1,5Ghz CPU at 70-75C.

Under 100% CPU and GPU load, with active fan, it would run at a throttled 1,6-1,7Ghz, at ~55C

As you can see, the last step, there's something wrong.

The CPU won't up throttle, even at 55C.

Occasionally, when only CPU load is applied, and the laptop comes out of sleep, it would run the full ~2,6Ghz running temperatures of 105C before throttling (with a lousy fan), or the same at 90-95C with a much better fan.

I understand that there's a soft throttle around 70C, which is ridiculous that it doesn't work coming out of sleep,
But what's worse for me, is that my CPU would refuse to run at anything above 1.7Ghz at 100% CPU load, when running OpenCL on the IGP, despite the CPU temperatures being only 52-58C (as by CPUID HW Monitor).

When going into the power options, setting the max CPU power when plugged in, to 99%, the CPU speed gets reduced to 1200Mhz.
Set to 95%, and it drops to ~850Mhz, and below 95% to 0% it would throttle at ~750Mhz.

The best setting is 100%, but it still won't allow for any faster than 1,7Ghz.
This despite there being enough thermal headroom, and power as well (as the CPU can easily hit 2,58Ghz when coming just out of sleep).

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom