Cannot boot laptop from USB, gets stuck in a Preparing Automatic Repair loop

P

pt1947

Hello,

I was using my laptop yesterday (an HP Omen) and it suddenly went to a black screen with no visible cursor. I tried restarting it, and it was fixed until it happened again a couple of hours later. After I had restarted it again, it went into automatic repair mode. It has been stuck like this, alternating between automatic repair and a black screen, with the white circles rotating for a half second before freezing.

No matter what I do, I cannot progress past this screen.

I've tried the following:

• Using F11 to get into the recovery menu - doesn't work, just takes me back to automatic repair after a "please wait" message
  • Waiting - no luck, obviously
  • Removing the battery - I can't because there is a screw with a worn down head on the laptop case
  • Diagnostics - there are no hardware issues from what I can tell
  • Booting from a USB - installed windows ISO on a 16GB Lexar USB using, on two separate occasions, both the Windows Media Creation tool AND Rufus. Neither work. I've changed the boot order, I've used legacy mode, disabled secure booting, etc. No luck at all.

When I boot from USB, it just takes me to a Preparing Automatic Repair screen, which then transitions to a screen with the Omen logo, which then repeats ad nauseum. The light on the USB does flash, but only for a couple of seconds.

Any help? I'm at a total loss here.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the warranty is expired and this computer is nearing 4 years old.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom