Microsoft changed my admin User folder name

K

kayanow2

I recently installed a new OS (C:) hard drive.

First you need to know that around a year ago, I changed the email account connected to my Microsoft account. Obviously that means a different email address.

Now back to my issue. When you do a fresh install Microsoft create a user folder (the one inside (C:)/users which has appdata, Documents, Desktop and many other important folders in it. It names this folder based on your email address usually using the first 5 letters.

My issue is that as I said I changed the email address associated with my Microsoft account. Prior to doing the fresh install I backed up all of the folders in my user folder but now in the fresh install it has been given different name.

During the install I was not at any time given any options re this folder name. This means that all of my backups (which I made on Microsoft's advice) addresses are wrong. I have already had issues when re installing program's mostly when they want to update and I expect many problems in the future.

I have looked around and I see many people have had this issue and no one has come up with a solution mainly it appears because most people completely misunderstand the question and assume people are talking about their username. This is not about usernames, it's about the name of the admin users folder inside the folder called "users" located on "C:". The folder which contains appdata, contacts, documents, downloads, etc. etc.

I only did this fresh install yesterday (20th Sept 2020) so in the absence of a solution I am prepared to go through the process again (I would prefer to not have to), but if I do how do I get Microsoft to use my old admin user folders name.

To put this in a nutshell, how do I get the admin user folders name mentioned above changed to it's previous name from my last installation so that all of my backed up files etc. can be simply pasted in.

I still have access to my old C drive files but not the os (In other words it is now storage but the old files remain intact)

I have another question, why after recommending I back up my documents etc. would Microsoft then change the address of the location folder by giving it a new name whilst knowing I was doing a fresh install on a new drive without allowing me to name the folder and as this issue is by no means new why haven't they addressed this issue.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom