Wireless Profiles not working at login screen

H

HeroesBaneAdmin

Strange issue, that I have found that is effecting many devices in our environment. PC's will not longer save a wifi profile for "All User Profile", instead it saves the profile as "Current User Profile".

This causes two issues, 1) After sleep of reboot wireless is disconnected and at the login screen users cannot connect to a wireless profile, even if they saved it previously. 2) Users are disconnected from wireless during a reboot, and they have to manually connect to it after login, at that point it will connect and remember.

I can force the connection to be saved as "All User Profile", but I have to forget the network, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center > Set up a new connection or network > Manually connect to a wireless network and then select "Save this network for all users of this computer". The issue is our users do not have Admin rights, so they cannot perform this action as it requires elevation.

So I have identified the problem, but I am unaware of the fix. When I run cmd as standard user then use: "netsh wlan show profiles" I can clearly see the issue:

Profiles on interface Wi-Fi:

Group policy profiles (read only)
---------------------------------
MyCompanySecure

User profiles
-------------
Current User Profile : HomeWifiSSID1
All User Profile : HomeWifiSSID2

If a user creates a profile, like they need to to connect to their home wifi (Thanks COVID!) it will create it as a " Current User Profile" and those profiles are the ones that will not connect at login or re-connect automatically after a reboot and login.

I have been trying to find a way to force the wifi connection to always be for "All User Profile" but cannot find a GPO or registry key to manage that.

Anyone else ever run into this or know of a solution?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom