Run a program with a variable delay depending on if the computer just booted

S

SlickRCBD

Both Avast and AVG are making my computers take a long time to boot up and become usable. Despite the fact that I can log in, they still have a bunch of tasks that just have to be done at boot time or login with no way I can find to delay them to idle time. It's not like I turn on the computer to use it right away, I like to wait and make sure everything is updated before I start using my computer to do that task or play that game that doesn't need those other programs updated.

Sarcasm aside, one thing I've noticed is that if I launch Thunderbird before these mandatory housekeeping tasks are done, it takes even longer for the computer to become usable.

I've previous had Thunderbird stuck in my startup items folder for years and several computers and operating systems. I believe it's been there since Windows 98SE, but at least since XP, but lately I've wondered, is there a way to check if the computer just started up and have the computer start Thunderbird a minute or two after I log in, but if the computer has been up and running for a while, have it start Thunderbird right away?

I can easily do something like timeout 120 && c:\program files\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe (or whatever the path and .exe is, too lazy to check) in a batch file, but that would delay Thunderbird opening whether the computer was booted up or not. What if I'd turned it on, then fixed a snack and come back? I wouldn't need to wait for all that startup stuff.

However I don't know how to check for system uptime without an admin account and possibly powershell, and I'm pretty much only going to be doing this with my standard account.

SO any suggestions to selectively delay launching my e-mail depending on how long since I turned on the computer?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom