Hard drives with PUIS set to have power up in standby.

• Thread starter Jonathan Lee (jlee102)
  • Start date
J

Jonathan Lee (jlee102)

Hello is there a way to enable a PUIS drive to spin up?

I got this old DVR. When I had to shut off Dish and they said that DVR is just so old now just put it in the garbage, we don't want it back. So today I had a idea, that thing has to have a HDD I can use to work with virtual machines for class. Bingo this baby has got a 320 GB sata drive in her way more then what I need for now. All I have to do is boot it on a SATA to USB and format it and have a fresh clean drive. I just have to get the old Dish specific software off it and it should work right.... Enter the world of PUIS....aka power up in standby. Windows 10 Pro does not like that.

I was able to do this only with using a system having it hot swapped to a SATA cable on the windows device. HDPARM did not work I had to use a VM of older dos boot disks to get to the amazing older ATA commands. Is there a ATA command set option under administrator log in to work with drives like this?

I do not want to go threw all of this to just spin up a PUIS drive I even checked under the hard drive setting once it was powered. We used drives like this all the time in data centers. What if we need data off one for cyber security? I cant find a PUIS setting anywhere.

I had to boot the other device that was able to power up the PUIS drive then hot plug the sata cable then format it, offline it boot up a VM with help from Unlock DVR Hard Drives for Normal Use: A Guide | Datarecovery.com to do this, I used a older dos era boot disk and was able to disable PUIS. I just wanted extra space from a older drive I have in a non useable DVR in the garage to use for storing VMs for educational use.

31ad3ae1-a679-43e9-bc7d-60dd4cbf14de?upload=true.png

c3512bef-dc94-416e-a076-08a132e26ba7?upload=true.png

e4fe7fd5-cbe0-43d2-84ec-e21e424019db?upload=true.png

cd0abb14-08a3-42f9-8bb2-d0c0de3fccb9?upload=true.png

I have also tried every drive jumper setting I could try it always comes up in standby mode like a server hard drive. How can we access this again now that I reset it again.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom