Wi-Fi randomly disconnecting multiple times a day + resolved by flipping the Wi-Fi switch off and back on in Windows 10 Settings app

C

cocotypo

I have suddenly had this issue over the last month or so with no hardware changes to my actual Windows 10 laptop (ASUS ROG G751JY running Windows 10 Pro, OS Build 19041.508). I started having issues with my internet speeds and had to return my modem for an RMA replacement. I got a temporary modem rental from my internet provider, but shortly after switching to the new modem, my PC started disconnecting multiple times a day (which is SUPER annoying)! It's not always fixed with a restart, nor is it always fixed with running the Connection Troubleshooter (which re-sets the Wi-fi adapter with only about a 50% success rate)... I finally noticed that flipping the Wi-Fi switch off and back on in the Windows 10 Settings app (Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi) usually does the trick even when rebooting doesn't.
(Some times when I try to restart it hangs forever then I get the blue screen of death with a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error.)

I think I've narrowed it down to some driver issue with the Wi-Fi adapter: Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

I'm seeing system events related to this hardware like:

• NETwNb64 (lots of these with different event ID numbers) - The description for Event ID 7001 from source NETwNb64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information was included with the event: \Device\NDMP3 Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file
    • Other IDs like 8000 have similar messages with differing device details \Device\NDMP27 Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

I have done everything I can think of and read to try online, including:

• Uninstall Device + rebooted
  • Update driver – It says the current driver version (18.33.5.1 dated 10/9/2016) is the best/most recent in Device Manager and that the best one is already installed.
  • Roll Back Driver - this option is disabled, nothing to roll back to

The diver version on ASUS's website for my laptop is actually OLDER than the one that's currently installed (with a lower version number). I downloaded and installed the newer ones distributed by Intel for that component, but can't get Device Manager to accept them as a updated diver.

Nothing has resulted in a long-term fix. Any ideas or anything that I've missed?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom