Fixing Missing NAS Drives After Win 10 v2004 Update

K

KierDMB

In case other people have this problem, I'm posting the solution that worked for me.

After the most recent Windows update this week, I noticed mapped drives to a Synology NAS could not be connected or remapped. Other Windows PCs in the household that had not been updated did not suffer the problem so concluded the NAS was fine.

After attempting to remap a drive I got error Error Code: 0x80070035 “The Network Path was not found”. After an hour of head scratching I found that Network Discovery was switched off in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings" and, furthermore, could not be switched on because returning to the setting showed it had been switched off automatically.

The rabbit hole got deeper and I discovered the reason was that the "DNS Client" service was disabled in services.msc and, furthermore, could not be enabled. The answer in my case was as follows:

• Run regedit.
  • Navigate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Dnscache
  • Locate the Start DWORD key and change its value from to 4 (Disabled) to 2 (Automatic).
  • Close everything and restart windows.

After the above steps and remapping the drives, everything was back to normal apart from my missing afternoon.

Would be interested if anyone knows if this could have occurred from anything other than a Win update. I'm keeping an open mind.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom