Rear audio jack doesn't detect speakers, but will play sound through them if something is plugged into the front audio jack

P

peter337

Until today, I've been using a pair of active speakers with my PC. They've been plugged into the rear audio jack, and there's been no issue.

Today, I set-up my new pair of passive speakers (i.e. the speakers are now connected through an external amp), and plugged them into the rear audio jack. However, my system didn't recognise that any speakers were plugged in, and no sound was being produced.

So I tried plugging my old speakers back into the rear audio jack. Again, nothing detected by the system, and no sound produced.

However, here's where it gets really confusing.

If I plug the new speakers into the rear audio jack and plug the old speakers into the front audio jack, then the system will think I've connected headphones to the front jack and will play music out of the new speakers.

And if I plug the old speakers into rear and new into front, again the system thinks headphones have been connected, but will play sound out of the new speakers.

So, in short, my rear audio jack isn't detecting anything, but if I plug speakers into both the front and back audio jacks, sound plays out of the new speakers, regardless of where they're connected.

I'm using the onboard Realtek Audio Control, and have successfully updated it to the latest drivers to no benefit. I've also tried many combination of the settings in Realtek Audio Control, but it's still not detecting anything when plugged into the rear audio jack.

The motherboard is a ASUS Prime Z370-P, and the OS is Windows 10.

Continue reading...