Battery no longer charging after Windows 10 update | Tried everything

• Thread starter CallMeTrinity23
  • Start date
C

CallMeTrinity23

Hello all,

First let me say that I'm at my whits end with this issue. I've tried everything, short of removing the battery; but that requires me to unscrew the bottom of my laptop in order to access the battery. You name it, I've tried it. I've contacted both my manufacturing company (ASUS) and Microsoft Tech Support multiple times about this issue, and nothing has fixed it. I had my computer updated to Version 1909 when the issue started, and now (after the fresh install) it is version 2004. Also there are no errors popping up, and my battery icon says '0% available (plugged in)'. This started around 8/30/2020 - 9/5/2020. Below is a list of troubleshooting I've done in order to attempt to fix this:

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled battery device drivers

2. Reset default battery settings

3. Updated my BIOS

4. Did a system restore (However this was attempted more than 10 days after the initial update, so I was unable to restore to before I had the issue).

5. Finally I did a complete Windows reinstall and wiped all of my personal data and everything.

Here is my reasoning why it can not be a hardware issue:

1. It started immediately after I updated my laptop

2. Using the 'powercfg /batteryreport' command in command prompt brings up my battery history. It initially showed that my battery had 23mWh of charge capacity the day prior, and then showed that I had 7mWh, followed by 3mWh. So the obvious drop in charging ability was a dead giveaway.

3. My charging cable is not damaged or frayed, and is relatively new (newer than my laptop/it's a replacement)

4. The laptop requires the adapter to be plugged in at all times in order for the laptop to be able to function. Think of it like a desktop.

System information:

Manufacturer: ASUS

Model: X555YA

Windows 10 Home

Version 2004 (Current)

OS build 19041.546

Like I said, I am totally out of ideas of how to fix this issue, but I would really like some expertise and assistance. Thank you!

EDIT: (Updated 10/4/2020): Got in contact with MS Tech Support again, and they had me install a fresh Windows 10 version 1903. My issues still persists.

EDIT: (Updated 10/5/2020)(12:0:0 AM): I finally caved and removed my laptop's internal battery to see if it's a hardware issue. Only 2 things happened. 1. The blinking orange light (that means critical battery failure) stopped, and is now a normal, steady, white light (which means it's fully charged. 2. The battery icon on the taskbar is now showing 'Fully charged (100%)', but it does not say that it is plugged in, or charging. If no one can exact my issue, I will most likely buy a new internal battery replacement.

Continue reading...