Windows 10 internet-related issues

R

RoryPapworth

Hello,

I've been having some strange computer issues ever since I moved to a new apartment and have Spectrum internet. Because the wifi speed is slow, I use an Ethernet cable. However, almost every time there's any change in internet connection (the internet goes out for a minute and back on, my computer switches from Ethernet to wifi or vice versa due to the cable being wiggled by accident, etc.) my computer begins having several problems that do not go away until I restart the computer. These problems include the windows search bar coming up with a blank screen, my browser not downloading things properly and causing issues with Zoom calls and even opening new pages, and other applications such as Steam and Microsoft Word and Excel to not respond. When I restart the computer it'll work fine until the next change in internet connection. This happens several times a day and is very frustrating. Due to these issues, I took my laptop to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they couldn't find anything, nor could any antivirus I tried. I decided to get a new laptop, and did so, and then began having the same exact problems. It was an ASUS computer, so I called ASUS support and did a couple factory resets and a BIOS reset and no luck. So I returned that laptop (still under warranty) and tried again. I'm on my 4th new laptop and they've all had the same exact issue. I've tried different brands, different processors, everything. I was out of state for a few days and one of the new laptops worked fine on the wifi there without a single issue. So I narrowed it down to some problem between the latest version of Windows 10 and my Spectrum internet. I contacted Microsoft and did a reinstall of Windows 10 with no luck. Why would a short lapse in internet cause lasting problems on the laptop that don't go away until I restart it? I'm at my wit's end as this has been going on for almost a year now and no one seems to have any working solutions.

Hopefully,

Rory P.

Continue reading...