USB hard drive keeps entering power save mode after disabling power save through multiple methods

• Thread starter mikejohnsonvideo
  • Start date
M

mikejohnsonvideo

I have a USB powered external hard drive that keeps entering a low power mode. I have disabled power save in several different methods outlined below, and the drive continues to enter power save. This is a problem because I am trying to edit video that is stored on the drive using Davinci Resolve. When the drive enters the power save mode, Resolve hangs as it can no longer access the media on the drive.

External Hard Drive:

LaCie Rugged USB-C 5TB connected via USB-C.

Computer Specs:

ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo GX550LWS-XS79

2.3GHz i7-10875H

32 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super

Windows 10 Pro version 1909

OS Build 18363.1082

Methods Attempted to disable USB power save:

1. Set "USB selective suspend setting" to Disabled in Power Options
  2. In Device Manager, deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Power Management settings for the following devices:
    1. Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
    2. Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
    3. NVIDIA USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
    4. NVIDIA USB Type-C Port Policy Controller
    5. USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)
    6. USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)
    7. USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)
  3. Changed removal policy to Better Performance
  4. Tested drive in all 4 USB ports

None of these methods have had any impact. The drive continues to enter a power save mode after approximately 30-seconds of idle time. The only way I have found to reawaken the drive is by accessing it in Windows Explorer, at which time is takes approximately 15 to 20-seconds to become accessible. When trying to access the drive through other applications when it is in power save mode, the application simply hangs and must be shutdown through Task Manager. Additionally, I have tested the drive on a MacBook Pro to see if the issue lies with the drive itself. At no point does the drive enter a power save or idle mode.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom