Cannot activate windows after hardware change

H

HelenaCard1

Hello

I recently upgraded my pc. I purchased a digital license for it in 2018 for a starter build using hand-me-down parts, with every intention of upgrading the pc when I could afford to. I have only reformatted this computer a handful of times. On this particular occasion, because I was keeping my storage medium, I did not need to reformat. I changed the motherboard, cpu, and memory, but kept my harddrives, video card, psu, and case. Windows booted without a hitch, but the "activate windows" watermark appeared.

I attempted to resolve this issue in the following ways:

I attempted the troubleshooting method listed in Settings > Update & Security > Activation and attempted "I changed hardware on this device recently." This did not work, and I attempted listing my devices, and was met with "We can't reactivate Windows from these devices."

Using the Get Help app, I attempted describing my situation. I was directed to use my phone or contact the community. I attempted Phone support multiple times. Each time the rep directed me to perform the steps I listed above, and after they did not work, I was transferred to tech support-- but not really, because I received and automated message noting tech support was unavailable. One representative told me to try chatting with tech support using the Get help app, but there was no option to do this any of the times I tried.

3. At this point, I attempted manually removing the devices from my Microsoft account profile in a web browser, switching to signing in with a local account, and repeating 1.

4. One of the representatives gave me a direct support number: 18009365700 in case I was dropped when they attempted to redirect me. He told me to "select tech support." I called the number and was met with a voice activated automated system. I responded with "tech support" as directed. I received an automated message directing me to an alias domain for Microsoft Support. Which is obviously pretty much where I started. The only option remaining to communicate with anybody associated with Microsoft is through the Microsoft community, which is why I am here writing this now.

This entire experience has felt like being physically stuck inside of a broken while loop. I have been going in circles here and I have no new information about my situation. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom