The secondary monitor 'in extended mode' freezes the entire pc if you log in immediately after boot

L

leofabri_hd

Hi,
I'm experiencing a bug that is there since the day I bought a second HDMI monitor.

Useful details:

• Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k with I7 8750H, 16GB of RAM
  • Secondary display: LG 27UL500 4k (connected via HDMI)
  • Windows 10 release: Windows 10 Pro 2004
  • Nvidia Drivers: Updated to the latest version
  • Intel Display Driver: Updated to the latest version available

• LG Display Drivers: Updated

Description of the problem:

Unfortunately, documenting what's going on isn't easy, so I'll try to describe the scenario in sequence:

1. I boot the PC with the second monitor connected and set from the previous session in extended display mode (Notifications action center -> Project -> Extend)
  2. as soon as the lock screen appears, I immediately login;
  3. the computer unlocks and I see the desktop properly loaded on the laptop, while on the other monitor (set as secondary, extended) the desktop appears for a few seconds but then disappears, and everything on it is replaced by a monochromatic screen without any icons and writings. It looks like the color matches the dominant one of the currently set background.
  4. When this happens the computer freezes, the CPU usage by the system process becomes extremely high and the laptop is completely unresponsive.

Temporary workaround:

• If the secondary monitor is not set to be used in 'extended display mode' from startup, the problem does not occur
  • If at startup there is just one monitor connected, the problem does not occur
  • If the secondary monitor is turned off at startup and powered on later, the problem does not occur
  • As soon as the desktop shows up, press the start button: the pc locks again (asking for the password) and both screens turn off after pausing the user session. Pressing the power button again will prompt you to the lock screen. This time if you're lucky, you won't face the bug. Sometimes even doing this isn't possible because the pc crashes immediately and even Ctrl + Alt + Del doesn't have any effect. The only solution is to force the shut down of the pc by holding the start button.

Notes:

Even after factory-resetting Windows 10, the problem isn't solved.

This issue doesn't affect other OSes like Ubuntu.

Suspects:

I don't think the cause is the monitor because this usually happens on the display that is set as primary (even on the laptop), this leads me to think that the cause isn't hardware but software. By using just one display this bug is non-existent.

Since this occurs right after when the initialization of the displays is supposed to take place, my theory is that some drivers are not initialized correctly (or with the right priority or timing), consequently making the user's session initialized without adequate control over the available hardware.

How to reproduce:

To date, I haven't yet found any way to replicate this issue on other PCs.

Continue reading...