Can't install Windows 10 on new PC build

P

paul374

Hello,

I'm trying to install Windows 10 on a gaming PC that I've built. Here are the specs:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-I

CPU: Intel i9-9900K

RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 16GB x2

M.2 SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB

SATA SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

GPU: PowerColor AXRX 5700

PSU: SilverStone SST-SX650-G

I've installed Linux on the 970 and have been running it fine. I purchased a download version of Windows and flashed it on a USB stick, from Linux, via:

dd if=windows.iso of=/dev/sda bs=1024M

I booted from the Windows installer USB, with the aim of installing it on the 860, but I get stuck on "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard Disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD or USB flash drive with the driver on it Please insert it now. Note: if the installation media is in the windows DVD drive or on a USB drive, you can safely remove it from this step." and cannot continue.

I've tried so many things:

- disable CSM - then I can't even boot into the Windows installer

- download and load the SATA driver from Asus (ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS Global) - doesn't help

- load the chipset drivers from the CD that came with the Z390-I - doesn't help

- removed the 970 - doesn't help

- used diskpart to convert the 860 to mbr, and gpt - neither work

- create a single ntfs partition on the 860 with gparted on linux - doesn't help

- all of the space on the 860 unallocated - doesn't help

It's obviously not an issue with the drive, because Linux can read read and write to it fine, plus diskpart in the Windows installer can recognize it fine too. BIOS has already been updated to the latest version.

So, I'm stuck. I can't believe I paid $200 for a garbage installer that can't even read media devices. Linux has no problem with whatever hardware you throw at it.

Continue reading...