Windows fails to load past "Preparing Automatic Repair" after I've upgraded a CPU on the same motherboard.

A

AnthonyQuarshie

I've upgrade my dad's i5 9400F CPU to a i9 9900K on the same motherboard, a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard.

First Boot: Windows fails to boot properly by completely freezing the PC altogether. Here's a video

Second Boot: Windows goes into "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen with the loop animation then fails by freezing the PC altogether with the loop animation frozen in place - not moving, not change in screen. Here's another video

For both cases, all the fans in the PC ramp up assuming it's working too hard for nothing.

I've searched for solutions for 8 hours till now and it seems I'm possibly the only person on earth who has this problem. However, I did put back the i5 CPU back into the PC and Windows was actually able to get past the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen, move on to "Checking Diagnosis" and I was able to do the necessary steps to let Windows boot up normally and it did, so I'm certain it cannot be a compatibility issue. But again, when I put in the i9, Windows can't get pasted either screens I mentioned earlier, so there's no way I can access Automatic Repair Screen to go Advanced Options and do whatever steps everybody else has nor can I attempt to reinstall Windows.

So my last solution was to update the Motherboard BIOS. Safely used the i5 CPU to update the BIOS and did the following:

• Use i5 CPU to access Windows to download the bios file unto a USB Flash Drive
  • Unplug USB Flash Drive and shut off PC
  • Plug Flash Drive into PC and turn PC on
  • Access the BIOS, here's how it looks, it's the same for both the i5 and i9
  • According to Manufacturer Q-Flash > Access .bios file from Flash Drive > Install Update
  • After installing is complete, PC Automatically restarts with the same i5 still in it
  • Shut off PC, then replace the i5 with the i9

This solution doesn't work, still get to the frozen pages I mentioned before

Then I tried:

• Keep the i9 in > Restart PC > Access BIOS with the Flash Drive still in it
  • Go to the same Q-Flash > Access .bios file from Flash Drive > Install Update
  • After installing is complete, PC Automatically restarts this time with the i9

No dice.

• No, the Monitor isn't plugged in weirdly
  • Yes, the coolant heat sync is installed properly, evident by fact the i5 worked just fine to do what it needed to do
  • Yes, I reapplied the thermal paste on the i9
  • Yes, the motherboard is compatible with the CPU, I did my research and the PC didn't automatically shut off or blow up
  • Yes, I have back up my files so I don't care if I have to install a fresh windows 10 operating system while I was using the i5
  • No, I cannot access Safe Mode with the new CPU install, remember, the PC is frozen in the "Preparing Automatic Repair", so I can't even access any pages afterwards
  • Yes, I have a flash drive with Windows 10 installer in it, but for some reason, the PC doesn't recognize that and refuses to read the flash drive
  • No, I haven't reinstalled Windows 10 with the i5 CPU yet, however, if that is the last but sure fire way that Windows will boot properly once I swap out the i5 for the i9 I'll do, please confirm that for me
  • No, please don't ask what my PC specs are because this is specifically a CPU, Motherboard, and Windows 10 issue nothing else should be affected unless you know what's going on
  • NO! I refuse to buy a completely new motherboard when the current one we have is considered compatible. However, if that seems to be the case for God knows what reason, I'll do that, but it'll feel like a complete waste of time and money (especially during the pandemic)

Sorry I made the post like, but I feel like so many times I'm having a certain problem I cannot find a solution after pages and pages of nothing but the same exact procedures. I hope all this and a solution will be helpful for a lot more people than what most might think.

If you are confident and know the way I can get ourselves out of this **** situation, gratefully thank you for your solutions.

Continue reading...