How do I get remote files to be stored temporarily in Sync Center / Offline Files?

• Thread starter Heh_heh________________________________________yeh
  • Start date
H

Heh_heh________________________________________yeh

Maybe I misunderstand the entire purpose of the sync center, but let me explain what I'm trying to accomplish and what's not working.

I have 30GB free on my client-side computer, but I'd like to play a game stored on my NAS server which is ~55 GB. I have a share set up to the server and it's mapped to Z. Everything can be accessed fine. Even without Offline Files enabled, I can still play the game off the Z drive, but it's super slow to load. The solution I want is to enable Offline Files and increase the temporary file limit to 30GB so that after I load a file from Z: once, it'll store it and use it again if it's still cached.

I've tried doing "make available offline" to the entire folder, and it successfully makes the files available offline, but it doesn't necessarily cache the files in the way I want it to (as described above). If I play the game, it doesn't replace unnecessary files with the ones I need cached.

I've also tried clearing out all offline files and set my temporary file limit to 30GB then running the game, but nothing downloads or fills up that space.

I've looked up information on Offline Files / Sync Center but it's pretty sparse. Can someone please help me with this?

Windows 10 Pro N, up to date as of Oct 17, 2020 (KB4579311)

Thank you.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom