Windows 10 activation issue repairing Windows on other computer hardware then moving back

D

DKAQ

Hi, I'm running Windows 10 on an iMac using Bootcamp and having activation issues. I installed a device driver which after rebooting Windows 10 meant Windows would no longer recognise inputs from my keyboard and mouse. No way of making changes.

So using a Windows recovery usb drive command prompt I was able to get Windows into safe mode - still keys and mouse wouldn't work. Next I tried system restore but this failed with some error code.

It seemed I'd have to reinstall Windows 10 but that would mean reinstalling all my software finding all the license codes, doing updates and so on. This would take forever. So I had the idea of connecting my Windows SSD to a VMWARE Fusion virtual machine as this would have radically different virtual hardware it might reset things a bit. This worked I was able to remove the device driver and reattaching the SSD to my iMac everything was working like before except now Windows won't activate. It's a digital licence attached to my Microsoft account and the serial number matches my iMac still when I run the command wmic bios get serialnumber.

Finding a decent Microsoft agent to talk to is like winning the lottery. Is there some command to reset the hardware profile so activation recognises it's the same computer?

I should say this is Windows 10 Pro Retail acquired through my University Dreamspark Store about five years ago.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom