How to change Fixed IP Address to "Obtain and IP address " On my PC using windows 10

R

RobertFranch

I recently bought a TP-LINK TL-R600VPN WIRED ROUTER for my home desktop which runs Windows 10 64 bit . The router's configuration instructions say

" 1. Connect a PC to a LAN port of the router with an RJ45 cable properly. If your computer is configured with a fixed IP, change it to "Obtain an IP address automatically".

I emailed TP Link as to how to do this on Windows 10 and they sent me the following link : https://www.tp-link.com/us/ . The step by step instructions for Windows 10 are about 2/3 of the way down the page .

Perhaps these were for an older version of Windows 10 but when I tried them I got very different results .

So I finally abandoned them and went control panel > internet and settings > ethernet > properties > IP settings > , then selected "IP ADDRESS IP ASSIGNMENT >EDIT which was already set to "AUTOMATIC (DHCP)

But I don't think what I did was the same thing as the configuration instructions . The router is supposed to provide VPN protection for my IP address but when I scanned my new local l network with AVAST the scan results still showed that my IP address was visible to all websites and to any one who wished to see it .

I think that for the VPN to work
computer is configured with a fixed IP, change it to "Obtain an IP address automatically". At ant rate since the config instructions say to do this I would like to do so .

My version of windows 10 is up to date . Please help .

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom