Transfer of large amounts of data just stops, but disks continue to appear as data is being transfered, but data is no longer transfered

M

Magnus.s

Hi all,

I am doing a disk upgrade and in the process of replacing existing disks, large amounts of data need to be moved between the disks. Since the transfer process is time consuming I have done these late at night leaving the computer on. When checking the next morning the following has occurred:

1. The progress window with the graph and info about the file transfer is gone as if the transfer is complete

2. The lights on both drives are still flashing as if they where both active and the data transfer was in progress

3. When looking in the file explorer I can see that the transfer has stopped in the middle of the transfer and far from all data has been transferred.

4. Looking in the activity manager I can see that no data is being transferred (even though the lights on the drives suggest data is being transferred).

Anyone run in to this problem?

The obvious work around, to manually select the files that weren't transfered and continue, turns out to be near imposible to do. I have done this several times by now and when all data is transfered, some files are always missing. I haven't figured out a way to identify which files are missing of the 800GB or so per transfer batch. It is unsatisfactory and not really acceptable to loose files in a simple file transfer in Windows.

The behavior occurs regardless if the drives I am transferring between are internal/external or external/external (internal SSD/external HDD, Internal SSD/External SDD, External SSD/external HDD).

Fresh install of Windows 10 with the latest updates.

All ideas appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom