All files on my 4TB hard drive appear to be hidden

M

Myownfriend

Two days ago I noticed that my 4TB drive was no longer showing the bar in Computer that shows you how much of the drive has been used. It simply showed the drive name and that it was NTFS formatted.

When I tried to access it, I got a "D:\ Access Denied" message.

I checked the permissions for the drive and it said "Ownership: ??". I assigned ownership and Full control to the Users and Administrators groups but it was having trouble applying them. After trying twice, it eventually said the permissions for Users was corrupted. I deleted the those permissions and it finally let me access the drive but it appears to blank.

I scanned the drive with file recovery software (Recuva). After a 7 hour scan I was able to see all of my files and it judged them to all be in excellent condition and I was able to recover them all to an external driver over the course of nearly 24 hours.

After doing that I ran chkdsk on the drive and it reported back the following.

" 242998147 KB total disk space.
190331760 KB in 757104 files.
541372 KB in 110744 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
1463027 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
50661988 KB available on disk."

From everything I can gather, the drive seems to be fine and all my files are there but drive Windows can't see them. I'm assuming it's a problem with the drives metadata and I'm wondering what the best course of action would be.

Update: For some reason the command prompt was actually running chkdsk on the C drive instead of my D drive. I should have realized that based on the amount reported for the total disk space.

These are the results for my D drive

" 3815316 MB total disk space.
52464768 KB in 10 files.
320 KB in 17 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
388159 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
3763702 MB available on disk."

I have a lot of image sequences on my D drive so those numbers definitely aren't correct.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom