Windows 10, fr-ca [18363.1139]: Bad timestamp in explorer after daylight savings time enabled

L

LouisHorvath

Hello,

To make this short, I use the timestamp of a file in order to track where my processing is going.

This morning we made the the jump to daylight savings time and every single timestamp (for newly created or touched files / folders) is offset by +1 hour (as compared to the time on the taskbar). Files I processed YESTERDAY are ok. Very freaky.

When I check the files through a command-line prompt, the timestamp is OK.

I've discovered that when i DISABLE "Adjust for Daylight Savings Time automatically" the issue disappears (the time on the files is OK).

This seems to affect all three timestamps : creation, modification and access.

It looks like a DISPLAY BUG; the actual files have the proper timestamp.

A few points
- My computer was on all night processing so it's not "oh daylight savings time didn't trigger properly"

- The BIOS time is OK

- I rebooted (hey, you never know!)

- I've asked Windows to synchronize time with the net

- When compressed with 7-zip, files are added with the proper time instead of the +1 hour displayed by explorer.

- I checked to make sure I was in the right time zone (I was).

- I even let Windows determine automatically what time zone I am in (it didn't resolve the issue)

- Windows Update seems OK (it can be upset if your system clock is off)

- I have an application to manually set the time stamp on each folder/file and it works but the display is still wrong.

- My girlfriend has a Mac and (obviously) the files she creates display the proper time.

So there's two possibilities here:
1. This is as expected according to Microsoft
2. There is a logic error in the Explorer module where it fails to take into account the fact that a file was created AFTER DST and assumes the time should be offset by one hour when it shouldn't.

Again. The solution is to disable "Adjust for Daylight Savings Time automatically" but this does imply you need to manually adjust the time whenever the time is changed. Hopefully I'm the only one with this issue!

Continue reading...