30 OCT 20 Windows 10 update caused problems

R

RobertSpiller

On the evening of 30 OCT 20, I was subject to a long (1 hour, 19 minutes) Windows 10 update, which has screwed up my computer function in several ways.

1. evidently it contained or awakened some 16-bit app that won't run on my 64-bit computer (2013 Dell 2350 All-in-one Inspiron Desktop). box says to contact the software maker, but does not identify the software maker.

2. Whenever I step away for 10 minutes, the routine "sleep" function does not recover when I return. Instead a blue screen with forced re-start, an error message that reads: "Thread Stuck in Device Driver". Sometimes this requires multiple re-starts, sometimes after re-start my computer locks up (screen visible, but no input works, not keyboard, not mouse, not touch screen, not ESC, not CTRL-Alt-DEL, so only escape seems to be to press and hold power switch til shutdown, and start the whole process again. This has happened at least 5 times since the Windows 10 update caused this problem. Twice this afternoon, symptoms of overheating: fan comes on, then goes to high fan, screen goes black, then flashes off and on.

I didn't do this. It was evidently caused or triggered by the "update".

How can I reach the organization/person who did this to my computer and get them to give me back my functional computer?

Continue reading...