Unable to implement Windows File and Folder Sharing(Part 1)

S

SweetTasha

I've received helpful responses to my questions about sharing files and folders at this forum and elsewhere. I'm still unable to make it work. What I'd like to do is start with the basics. I'll describe in detail the steps I try and ask for comments if/when I'm not successful.

This post is "Part 1."

The roadmap I'll use is from tenforums.

^ Getting started with OneDrive on Windows 10

The first tenforums tutorial sets the stage for setting up specific types of sharing.

Set Up File Sharing on a Windows PC

This option needs to be done on each Windows PC you want to be able to share files and folders between before doing any of the other options below. >>> I'm using a Dell Inspiron PC and a Mircrosoft Surface Book.

1 Make sure each computer you want to share between are all connected to the same network. >>> Done.
2 Make sure each computer on the network has a different computer name.>>> Done.
3 Make sure each computer you want to share between are on the same workgroup.>>> Done.
4 Enable SMB Direct on each computer you want to share between. If you have an older USB network drive or connecting to a previous version of Windows (ex: "Windows 7") than Windows 10, then you will need to enable SMB1. >>> I don't need SMB1.
5 Make sure Use Sharing Wizard is checked in Folder Options > View tab on each computer you want to share between. >>> Done.
6 Make sure the Function Discovery Resource Publication and Function Discovery Provider Host services are started (running) and their startup type is set to automatic on each computer you want to share between. >>> Done.
7 Set the network location on each computer you want to share between to private (recommended) or public. >>> Private.
8 Turn on network discovery for your private or public network on each computer you want to share between. >>> Done.
9 Turn on File and Printer Sharing for your private or public network on each computer you want to share between. >>> Done.
10 Turn on Public folder sharing on each computer you want to share between if you want to share items in the C:\Users\Public folder on a computer. >>> Done.
11 Turn on or off password protected sharing for what you want on each computer you want to share between. >>> OFF.
12 Select the file sharing connections encryption level you want to use on each computer you want to share between. >>> Done.
13 You can now use any of the options below to share files and folders with another computer on the same network.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom