Cannot copy or open any files in Safe Mode

N

Nathan1123

Hello,

Being unable to fix my PC from having repeated Blue Screen of Death upon logging in, and no longer receiving any sufficient outside help, I decided I need to experiment with some more drastic measures, such as re-installing Windows, or ultimately buying a new PC.

Since I can run Windows in Safe Mode, and all my files are in tact, that shouldn't be an issue.

I have come to realize that the vast majority of files cannot be copied to an external drive, as it always gives me the same error message "File cannot be accessed by the system". When I try to open any file, I am similarly given an error message saying it cannot be opened, but exactly what that error message says is different depending on the file type.

This is only the case in Safe Mode. I am able to run in normal mode for short periods of time (a matter of minutes), during which point there is no issue copying or opening any files. However, it would be impossible to copy all my important files to an external drive within such a short window of time.

When looking around online, it sounds like this is not supposed to be how Safe Mode works, apparently. So what can I do? If the files cannot be moved and the PC cannot be fixed, it sounds like its all lost.....

I've already run System File Check and Disk Check. The former found no errors, the latter said it found problems but wasn't able to fix them.

Nathan

Continue reading...