Fixing Windows 10 in workgroup windows update is Deferred or Paused

I

Ira Grollman

Several systems became unable to update for 35 days. Most of them needed Cumulative Update Previews to 20H2. This is what I did to reset the deferrals and pauses.

After doing this, you should also regain the Windows Update Advanced options settings.

Note that the information shown using Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> System -> Computername, domain, and workgroups settings section WorkGroup: workgroup is correct. What you see by clicking Change Settings -> Network ID is a wizard, not the current state of your system!

If you are in a domain, see Configure Windows Update for Business (Windows 10) - Windows Deployment (Configure Windows Update for Business).

In services (services.msc), stop Windows Update. If using task manager -> services tab -> stop wuauserv.

Backup your registry entry for [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UpdatePolicy]

Delete any extra values under UpdatePolicy\PolicyState (6 remain) and UpdatePolicy\Settings (4 remain). This resets the deferrals and pauses. I do not know what the hex date "1d67b13e32d4c00", that is what I found on a working system to use when editing the registry directly.

Reboot your system; pauses and deferrals should be removed. It does not affect other "*Some settings are managed by your organization" settings if it is showing.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UpdatePolicy]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UpdatePolicy\PolicyState]

"DeferQualityUpdates"=dword:00000000

"DeferFeatureUpdates"=dword:00000000

"BranchReadinessLevel"="CB"

"IsDeferralIsActive"=dword:00000000

"IsWUfBConfigured"=dword:00000000

"IsWUfBDualScanActive"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UpdatePolicy\Settings]

"PausedFeatureStatus"=dword:00000000

"PausedQualityStatus"=dword:00000000