Windows 10 Windows Update Broke Gamepad

V

Vain.3805

I bought this gamepad exactly 12 days ago.

It's brand spanking new.

It works just fine.

Windows registers that it is plugged in.

Logitech driver installer registers that it is plugged in.

Prior to the my Windows update yesterday, all of my games registered it was plugged in. Now I can't even get Game Controller Tester on the Windows App Store to recognize that it's plugged in.

I've tried different USB ports. I've tried uninstalling it and restarting windows. I've tried manually updating the drivers and updating them through Windows Update. I went through all this 12 days ago when I replaced my old gamepad with a dead internal computer chip!

The internet says my update is actually from June 9th, 2020. If so... WHY. The gamepad I'm using is not some archaic out of date product. Logitech still sells the F310 Gamepad and I just bought it brand new from Target.

I'm in the process of uninstalling the two Security Updates KB4579311 and KB 4577266 (one at a time to see if just one is the problem). I'm at a loss as to why an update that has been out since JUNE just showed up for me now and STILL manages to destroy the functionality of a very basic but quite essential piece of hardware.

As an added bonus the update also lost all of my Theme and Desktop visual settings and I had to reset all of them after failing to turn up anything digging through %appdata% like it suggested.

I had to unplug and replug in my logitech mouse too but that was enough for it to start working again.

Oh how lovely. I uninstalled KB4579311 and now I can't uninstall KB4577266 and my gamepad still does not work. And the oh-so-helpful System Restore has no restore point prior to that uninstall. None whatsoever.

Yippee for me system restore has turned it into a brick

I get to reformat. Yay.

Continue reading...