No access to USB storage devices [USB / SD CARDS / EXTERNAL HD]

R

ReaganQWERTY

Hi all,

I have been smashing my head against this problem for several weeks.

My current PC does not read / have access to reading any SD CARD / USB from my USB ports, like literally any of them.. I have isolated this to just this PC and not the USB / SD CARDS as other devices (Windows 10 Laptop, MBPro2016) both could successfully read the contents of the external media.

The PC can see that the device is there and can recognize what it is, but cannot actually access the folder path. I noticed when I plugged a USB in, it shows 2 drives, one being a disk drive? Yet, both are unreadable in storage explorer.

I have tried the following solutions to no avail...

• Configured Registries

• Reinstalled Windows 10 ISO (Keep Apps & Files)

• chkdsk (doesn't work, says i need to elevate permissions, even though I am calling it from Sys32)

• I have Formatted the external medias, renamed them, Assigned allocated partitions to them, etc etc.

• Formatted the medias on the windows 10 laptop.

• Checked BIOS to see if anything has screwed up there.

• Uninstalled Root USB Drivers

• Uninstall ALL USB drivers

• Attempted to update drivers

• Played with Power Settings

• Reinstalled all USB drivers

• Played with fast reboot settings

• SFC in cmd prompt

• Many more, but I don't exactly remember.

• Scanned registries with Ccleaner

• Scanned with Windows Defender (Full)

• Scanned with Malwarebytes

I don't think I can do a clean install of windows 10 as I can't backup my storage to external media, and backing up 5TB to the cloud with Australian NBN is not a preferable option either.

I did have Forticlient uninstalled recently from this device and looking there, they have a known bug:

Potential wrong block state for USB access after FortiClient (Windows) was uninstalled.

I really hope to find a solution as I have been struggling with this for quite some time and it's affecting my workflow.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom