Antivirus and Start Menu don't work 0x80070643

N

NFH.

I had noticed that my Dell laptop over the last few days, whenever the screen was locked, was repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting to the external monitor. Every time when I subsequently unlocked Windows, I found that it had annoyingly moved all my windows from the external monitor to the laptop's screen. I remember that a graphics card driver had prompted me for an installation a couple of weeks ago, which must have caused the disconnection/reconnection problem with the external monitor. So I then did a System Restore back to around three weeks ago. This cured the problem.

Because I had rolled back three weeks, I then did all the recent Windows Updates, including KB4580364 (Optional Quality update: 2020-10 cumulative update preview for Windows 10 version 20H2 for x64 based systems) which had not been installed previously. This update changed the look and feel of the Start Menu icons.

But I then noticed a new problem - Windows Defender had failed to update its virus definitions - "There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070643)".

I therefore undid the System Restore, which didn't cure 0x80070643. Even worse, my Start Menu stopped working, only for my own user, but not for a new test user that I created. I assume that this was because KB4580364 had updated some of my user data for the Start Menu, and this new user data is now incompatible with the previous configuration when I rolled back KB4580364. I now cannot do any effective System Restore.

How can I fix 0x80070643 and restore my Start Menu?

Continue reading...