Windows Install won't Hold

A

AbdulMohamed3

This will be a long post but I have literally tried everything. To prefice: I recently upgraded my CPU, motherboard, and RAM. Here are the full specifications:

Ryzen 5600x

GTX 1080

Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200 MHz RAM (2 x 16GB)

ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus

Seasonic 750W Gold PSU

Inland Professional 2TB QLC NVMe

Samsung Evo 850 256 GB SSD

Western Digital 1 TB HDD

Seagate Firecude 2 TB SSHD

Here was my previous system setup:

i7-7700k

GTX 1080

ADATA DDR4 3000 MHz RAM (2 x 8 GB)

MSI Z270 Gaming Plus

Seasonic 750W Gold PSU

Inland Professional 2TB QLC NVMe

Samsung Evo 850 256 GB SSD

Western Digital 1 TB HDD

Seagate Firecude 2 TB SSHD

On my previous system I had Windows 10 Pro installed on the Samsung Evo .When I upgraded my parts (with the latest BIOS update for my motherboard) I chose to install Windows on my NVMe. I could not get the install to hold: I reinstalled Windows a total of 5 times because each time the computer would not end up booting. Each time I would be sure to format the drive and ensure fresh partitions were created automatically by the Windows installation media. I also tested three different Windows boot drives and all of them were unsuccessful at holding an install.On the 5th and final time, Windows actually managed to install on the NVMe and the computer booted as normal. I was able to use it all day on Thursday with no issue and the system ran great. At one point in the night I turned off the computer, then the next time I turned it off later in the evening it would not boot. The BIOS read the boot drive not as 'Windows Boot Manager', but just as PCIe SSD. I went into diskpart on command prompt in the Windows Recovery environment and it shows all my drives, including the NVMe, as having healthy partitions and that were online. In my BIOS I can see the files of the NVMe and it shows the Windows files and everything included in that drive. Though in the attributes in diskpart, it said that the NVMe was set to 'Current Read Only State: ' - YES. I tried to change that with some diskpart commands but no luck. I even got so desperate that I rebuilt my computer with my old parts only to discover the windows installation issues were STILL present. So are all my drives magically corrupted when they worked a week ago or is something else up? I have also now rebuilt my computer again with the first listed build spec after realizing that the hardware did not seem to be the issue.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom