Windows stuck in boot loop and cannot be reset

R

Rudley Dudley

Hi all. I have an Asus Q504UA laptop that I keep updated and has been running fine until the other day. I noticed some slowness and saw there were two updates to install (I didn't catch what they were but they appeared minor at the time) so i restarted my machine to run them.

During boot, my computer started checking its disk, running through all of my files. After letting it work for a bit, the estimated time was hovering around 548 hours and change (a bit over 22 days). Deciding this was untenable, I shutdown the computer and turned it back on, and my computer displayed a "Preparing automatic repair" message and booted indefinitely (I left it overnight with no change).

Turning it off and back on again causes no change, and holding the power button on startup three times does not boot to advanced startup options/recovery mode. I can enter BIOS but I don't see any options to reset or refresh. I was able to make a recovery drive without windows files on my work laptop, but booting into that still displays an infinite loading screen without the repair message. I was able to make a wondows boot drive on a friend's Mac but booting into that displays an infinite loading screen with a windows 10 logo.

Obviously I would have liked to keep my files but at this point if the computer can be reset I would be fine with that. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Continue reading...