Stop Modern Standby from activating on SP4

D

DarkSkyJim

I have repurposed a MS Surface Pro 4 (that has a cracked display) into a file server to replace a very old HP laptop that was serving in that role. The SP4 has no keyboard, has several USB drives, a USB Ethernet connection, and is connected to AC power. The drives are shared on the network, and in the middle of the night, WinZip jobs run on the SP4 to update several Zip archives. If changes were made, they are then copied (by a scheduled batch file) to my OneDrive folder on the SP4 where they automatically sync to the cloud. It all worked great on my HP laptop. Since I don't need to use the SP4 display (all interaction with it is from my main PC via Remote Desktop), I set the display to turn off after 1 minute. Thus, after I power up the SP4, the drives get shared on the network, and the screen goes blank after one minute. I can access the network drives from my main PC and I can RDP into the SP4 if I need to. BUT...I find that somewhat randomly, the SP4 goes into S0 Standby mode, creating major problems. The sleepstudy reports a Video Idle Timeout caused the Standby mode. When this happens, I can't RDP into it, I can't access its shared drives over the network, and it does not run the scheduled WinZip jobs. I've set the power configuation to NEVER sleep, yet it still goes into S0 Modern Standby. Basically, I want the SP4 to run ALL THE TIME, 24/7 and never go into any sort of standby or sleep mode, but with the screen turned off. How can I make this happen?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom