Accessing OneDrive files in Windows Explorer veeeeeeery slow

L

LexvdN

For over a week, no idea what could have been the cause, my Windows Explorer has been extremely slow when clicking on a file in a folder managed by OneDrive.

As soon as I go to a folder in Explorer that is maintained by OneDrive, I can click on folders and subfolders in the left column and I see indicated which files are only offline or are also available online or even 'are always kept on this device'. However, as soon as I click on a file or folder with a single mouse click in the right part of the Explorer window, the cursor becomes a spinning blue circle and I cannot do anything for about 60 seconds (sixty !!!), even closing the window is not possible . Halfway at about 30 seconds, the rotating circle falters for a moment and then continues for 30 seconds. After 60 sec what I expected happens (changing the name, see the pop-up with possible actions, ...). If I double click on a folder or file (to open) then nothing happens for 90 and sometimes 120 seconds (with a stutter every 30 seconds) and then the folder is opened or the file is opened with the associated application. It does not matter whether this is a file that is only available offline or is (always) available on this device. As soon as the file has been opened, the Explorer window is again in standby for 90 or 120 seconds before anything can be done with it again (meanwhile, a rotating circle as cursor).

Task management does not indicate that there are processes that require a lot of processor capacity, even Explorer is at most 5%. I have already reset OneDrive once and even removed it once and reinstalled it again. Unfortunately, that has not produced any results. I have a very fast Surface Book 2.

Particularities:

1. There is no problem when I open OneDrive online (in the browser). I can access and open all folders files, of course with the online delay and online applications such as Word-online. So it is not the file(s) causing the problem.

2. There is also no problem accessing files in folders that are not under OneDrive's supervision. So it has something to do with OndeDrive.

3. I have 2 accounts / users active on my Surface Book 2. Problems are on the first account. What is special is that there is no problem with OneDrive on the second account (just like the first, a 'normal' Microsoft account with administrator rights). In fact, if I access the Onedrive folder of the first account from the second account (via Local Disk (C :) - Users) then I can access everything very quickly as usual. So the problem is related only to the first account.

I see that Onedrive.exe is located in C: \ Users \ "USERNAME" \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ OneDrive, for both user 1 and user 2, with the same Onedrive.exe (size, digital signature, ... ). Only the "date created" is different, but that's because I reinstalled Onedrive for user 1 last week.

4. As a test I also installed another file manager (FreeCommander), which had no problem accessing and opening files. So the problem is in the communication between Windows Explorer and OneDrive, in the first account only.

5. The delay is exact 30 sec or multiple of that. No matter if it concerns a small or large file, no matter what type of file, ... Isn't that weird???

What have I done already:

- Reset of OneDrive, even reinstall of OneDrive on the first account.

- Started Windows with a clean start (all services turned off except the Window services). No joy.

- Checked all settings which could cause the problem: synchronisation of OneDrive, indexing properties for search, using different views in Windows Explorer (with/without preview window, details, large icons, ...), ...

A long story, but hopefully with enough information to determine what might be going on.

Continue reading...