Bug: Using File Explorer to Change Shortcuts on Desktop

• Thread starter A_long_time_windows_user
  • Start date
A

A_long_time_windows_user

I have file shortcuts on my desktop because I like to use keyboard shortcuts to access certain files. To use keyboard shortcuts (such as “Ctrl-Alt-A) the file shortcuts need to be placed on the desktop.

You can change the name of the file shortcuts using F2 right on the desktop or using F2 in File Explorer. If you change the name of the file shortcut in File Explorer, the keyboard shortcut for that file shortcut no longer works. On the other hand, if you change the name of the file shortcut on the desktop, the keyboard shortcut continues to work.

If you create this problem from within File Explorer and then try to fix the problem from within File Explorer by right clicking the file shortcut and then clicking on properties, the properties window pops open. The proper keyboard shortcut displays in the “Shortcut key” field, even though it no longer works, and I can’t figure out how to fix this issue from within File Explorer. Rebooting does not fix this problem.

The way to fix the problem is to: (1) go to the desktop, (2) right click the file shortcut, (3) click on properties, (4) click in the Shortcut key field, (5) delete the displayed shortcut with backspace, (6) apply changes, (7) re-enter the shortcut into the Shortcut key field, and (8) apply changes.

Continue reading...