VB6 app works in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10

S

shingadaddy

I have an ST Microcontroller and have it loaded with ST CDC firmware. This firmware and the supplied ST driver (Actually usbser.sys Windows driver) causes the PC to act as a com port.

I have a PC with Windows 7, Running a VB6 built executable. This works with my ST microcontroller.

Same PC - Uprgades to Windows 10
I have Windows 10 with the SAME VB6 executable. This DOES NOT WORK with my ST microcontroller. And throws Error 8015.

as soon as the VB application tries to OPEN the com port.

Run time error '8015':

Could not set comm state, there may be one or more invalid communication parameters.

No device Lock. (Com ports not blocked).

No other device hoarding the com port. I can set the com port to any number and the result is the same.

As tests.

1. I can use a different application than VB ( one of several TERMINAL applications - putty / termite etc....) and I get good functionality with the ST microcontroller as expected.

2. I also have installed a USB to RS232 UART converter and its driver. (Not my ST microcontroller) and IT works with the VB APPLICATION !

The ST micro and its driver seem to enumerate as needed but when the port open command is encountered is when the error is thrown. Seems something gets heartburn at that point.The VB application seem to get heartburn just before the application tries to communicate.

On the ST end - there is no COM PORT. The sent com port parameters from the PC over USB com port app over endpoint 0 are not used.

Along with any hints that might prove helpful, is there ANY difference in how Windows 7 and Windows 10 handles USB2.0 device enumeration or COM PORT control responses expected back to the PC, that might be an issue here???

Please advise and thank you in advance.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom