How to get permission to remove a USB hard drive safely?

N

Norman Diamond

This problem has recurred in various Windows systems since XP, occasionally solved temporarily and then reoccurring.

When I click on the icon in the notification are to safely remove hardware, and select the USB bridge that has a hard drive connected, Windows denies permission because the drive is in use. Both the System process and Windows Defender have handles open on the drive.

In Computer Management - Disk Management, it is possible to right-click the drive and set it offline. Windows does not display an error popup. However, the system log gets numerous events recorded about failures to flush buffers associated with the handles open by the System process and Windows Defender. I don't know if the NTFS partitions really get corrupted, but the event logs say they do because the transaction buffers couldn't be flushed.

Even shutting down Windows doesn't solve it any more. Clicking on Start, Power, Shutdown turns off the power but doesn't flush buffers to the USB hard drive. If I disconnect the USB drive while power is off, and then resume Windows, the system log gets numerous events recorded about failures to flush buffers. So now Windows 10 is worse than Windows XP.

The drive's properties are already optimized for quick removal, not for performance with write caching, but it doesn't help. Windows cannot be persuaded to flush buffers, and the drive cannot be removed safely.

Is there any way to do it?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom