Windows Installation Failure from USB

T

TrystinBoie

So I'm at my wits end with this.

I've been trying to install Windows 10 on an old tower of mine that sat kinda dormant for a year. It's not too old, but I'm completely baffled as to why it just refuses Windows 10.

Okay so, I've tried 4 different USB sticks: 2x 32GB sticks and 2x 16GB sticks, all have been repeatedly formatted to both FAT32 and NTFS (I lost count how many times I've tried installing Windows 10 on this PC). Media Creation Tool reports 0 errors and says it creates the media just fine every single time. But none of the drives will ever boot into UEFI mode, only Legacy.

When running setup on Legacy boot, the USB will run normally, allowing me to select the drive I want and then moving to the traditional installation steps. However, it instantly finishes the first step; "Copying files..." and works normally through the 2nd step. However, it instantly finishes both the "Installing Features" and "Installing Updates" steps, which I know is wrong and those steps usually take the longest. It will then clear the final step and begin the restart countdown.

Upon restarting, it will attempt to boot into the newly imaged drive (more on that later) by flashing the Windows 10 logo for about a second, black screen, then rebooting/POSTing. After doing this about 3 times, I'll get the BSOD with error code 0xc0000001.

I have done this countless times with various BIOS settings, various USB sticks, various HDDs/SSDs/an M.2, and I get the same exact result.

So either the latest Win10 ISO is broken, or I need to replace a component on the PC in question.

Here's the rundown on the specs:

MB: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI

CPU: Ryzen 5 (not familiar with exact model/speed, just know its a Ryzen 5 from a couple years ago, AM4 socket type)

RAM: Corsair Vengance 2x 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD XFX RX 570

PSU: EVGA 1000w Gold

Current Storage: WD Black 500GB M.2 NVMe

Other attempted HDDs/SSDs: 2x WD 1TB HDDs (both 7200RPM, 3.5in) & 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD 2.5in

BIOS Settings I have changed:

-Cleared Secure Boot Keys, disabled Secure Boot

-Have tried both Legacy and UEFI boot options (all of them I could configure) and only Legacy works on the USBs (but as stated before, actuall installation always "fails")

-SATA Configuration is set to AHCI (but that doesn't matter now because only the M.2 SSD is slotted into the PC)

Other information:

RAM passes memory checks and each DIMM slot status is displayed by the BIOS, with correct memory size (total of 16GB DDR4).

When looking at PCIe slots in BIOS, it will only show up as "AMD GPU" in the x16 slot (probably due to no drivers being installed on the system but I could be wrong). When looking further at that specific slot, it has "Select Valid GPU" greyed out.

I have tried every USB stick at least 3 times, formatting them in FAT32 and then NTFS; same result occurs. Not a single USB stick has been able to UEFI boot. Only Legacy.

I just want to know if I need to replace something and what. Is the mobo just going bad? If anyone has any information or a solid answer, that'd be much appreciated. I planned on using this PC for cloud computing and running Streamlabs OBS.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom