Laptop has really poor signal to WIFI, despite other devices being perfectly fine.

A

Arcalalalap6765

Hi, please help me! I live in a student house and share WIFI with 5 other people. We are on Virgin WIFI and have an ORBI with it to boost the signal. My room is just up the stairs from the room where the router is, yet I have the worst connection in the house. Upstairs is a TP-link on the landing to help boost the signal around the 4 rooms upstairs. The TP-link works really well on my phone and without it my phone can't connect to the WIFI in my room, however my laptop still really struggles.

It is a HP laptop, recently refurbished and bought (I had similar problems with a 5 year old Toshiba laptop, and replaced it thinking it would make a difference). It has an I3 core processor, Realtek '802.11 bgn WIFI adapter' and a 'Realtek Pcle Gbe family controller'. I don't know what other info you might need but pls ask and I can find out :).

I bought a Devolo D-LAN 550 powerline adapter for my room, however when I plugged it in it was not able to find the WIFI network. We put this down to my room being on different wiring to downstairs where the router is, as I think my room used to be a bathroom (is this possible? I couldn't think of another reason why it wouldn't work). This means that both a WIFI extender and a powerline adapter aren't options, as they don't seem to work. I'm also not allowed to move the router due to being in a student house. I should add that the laptop has great signal when I am in the same room as the router, but just not around my room upstairs.

If it helps, my housemate has a different WIFI extender, a BT WIFI extender 1200 in his room and that works with my laptop. That seems to act as a separate network that I have to login to? which is different to the TP-link upstairs that signal boosts the ORBI. So my question is, how do I get better internet to my laptop?

Thank you so much in advance, any help with this would be much appreciated!

Continue reading...