Added SDRAM to HP laptop has 8GB and only 2GB usable, lots of BAD ADVICE

B

BradleytRogers

i have some HP laptop, came with 4GB 2x 2GB ram. 1TB hdd. thing runs slow, after a day of being on, it can take 30 seconds to reply to a button click. disk always 100% cpu usage, memory always near max.

I talk with HP who looks up my serial # and says the memory you need is xyz1234. an 8GB module is only $135 so $270 for two, what is your credit card number? I said well let me see if theres a better price. Patriot 8Gb with all the details xyz1234. (I worked on pc's since they came out w/XT and know how to match sdram)

open the laptop, remove slot 2 memory and install the 8GB there. turn on windows, it says there is 12GB, 2GB usable. well thats wrong. make a recovery disk, install a brand new SSD hdd. install windows, now its getting almost to the end, and blue screens out, I take out the other 2GB so its 8GB total. start windows and its ok, shows 8GB, 2GB usable. Go into Microsoft community and look it up. some ppl say increase the disk pagine file? why? another says run MSCONFIG, boot, advanced, uncheck automatic memory size. It then says 8192MB or whatever 8GB. ok reboot. blue screens out, reboot, login screen blue screens out. reboots, login screen, 3 seconds blue screens out.

now i break the bootup and run diagnostics, RAM tested for 30 minutes and 0 errors. HDD test quick: passed HDD test extensive: SMART test passed; 1:20:00 left (hour and 20 minutes left)

So whats the deal with the 2GB usable and 8GB total? Whats really going on? What can be done? In the past SDRAM was plug/play. Does this seem like the Patriot SDRAM is bad? I have not yet installed any HP oem drivers for this laptop and chipset

The HDD is Samsumg 860EVO 512mb. Assuredly runs windows faster, Task manager shows the HDD at 1-5% instead of 100%

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom