Microsoft Edge Dev circumvents Microsoft Family Safety

T

TofuCurry

My son somehow learned that he can bypass all internet restrictions on the computer by downloading and installing Microsoft Edge Dev. First of all, he has a standard account -- not an admin account. He shouldn't be able to install any software, but somehow he can. So that's problem number one. But secondly, Microsoft Family Safety works through Microsoft Edge. Apparently Windows and Microsoft Family Safety treat Microsoft Edge Dev as a completely separate browser. As a result, my son can run Microsoft Edge Dev instead of Microsoft Edge, and his web history will not be recorded in Microsoft Family Safety, and he can freely go to any website without restriction thus bypassing any website restrictions put into place in Microsoft Family Safety. This means he also has access to InPrivate mode which means his web browsing activity won't be recorded locally, either. Oh, and even though Microsoft Family Safety does display "Microsoft Edge Dev" in the application usage history, it does not appear under "App and game limits" -> "Installed apps". As a result, there is no option to block the Microsoft Edge Dev browser in Microsoft Family Safety! This is ridiculous because the regular Microsoft Edge does appear in the list and can be blocked. But since Edge and Edge Dev are treated as two different applications, this option is useless for solving this problem.

My only question here is, "How do I report this issue to Microsoft so they can fix it?". Honestly, this is an egregious oversight by Microsoft that a child can download and run the development version of Edge to bypass any and all internet restrictions set in Microsoft Family Safety.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom