SSD Booting to Black Screen After Migration

I

illinifan_303

I am attempting to upgrade my Dell desktop from the original HDD to a Samsung 860 EVO SSD. The original drive is 1 TB, the new one is 500 GB. I am running Windows 10. I downloaded the Samsung Migration software, powered down the computer, installed the SSD into the machine and plugged into an open SATA port. I was able to successfully complete the data migration of the two partitions on the original drive to the SSD and then the computer powered itself down as expected. I then disconnected the HDD from the power and SATA ports and moved the SATA cord from the SSD to the SATA connection that was previously used by the HDD (not sure if this matters, but saw the recommendation somewhere).

When I power on the machine, I can see the Windows logo and a white circle. Then the screen goes black but I can move the arrow around. I cannot get past this point.

When starting the machine, I also do not see the Dell logo but am able to get to the BIOS by hitting F2. The SSD is recognized and appears in the second boot position below bootable USB. I rebooted my PC with the recovery USB. I tried the Repair Startup option, but it said that Windows couldn't repair the issue. I then went into the Command Prompt to run diskpart. A picture is attached. I noticed a couple odd things:

1) the OS partition isn't showing as Boot under Status

2) The SSD is 500 GB total, broken down into a 150GB partition called OS and a 350 GB partition called Documents. Those show up as the E: and F: drives, respectively. However, there's also a C: partition for 500 GB

Does anyone have any ideas?bc8b2f19-4846-4e37-bfc2-24235b02017d?upload=true.jpg

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom