Windows 10 Update Failure: Boot Screen Pops Up

• Thread starter meghead_egghead
  • Start date
M

meghead_egghead

I have an ASUS Zenbook Pro from 2017. Over the course of the last year, I have repeatedly tried - and failed - to update Windows 10 when they were released.

Every. Single. Time. Without fail, my laptop will restart and go to the "updating screen" -- the brightly colored one with the Windows logo and such. Before it is completely done, however, it will go black, go back to the ASUS loading screen, and then to the boot manager screen with this displayed:

Windows Boot Manager​

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: An unexpected error has occurred.

I've gone into the boot screen (where you can make adjustments to what happens) from there, exited out after kind of checking things out, and my computer will just revert to pre-update and continue to work as if nothing had ever happened. The thing is, my apps have stopped working together well because they are all made for the newest version of Windows 10 and aren't backward compatible, so I do actually need to update at this time.

I do not have a disc drive, so an installation disc isn't an option there, though maybe there is another option available?

I also did find a similar kind of question from back in January, but it was blue screen, not boot manager screen, not really sure if there is a difference:

ASUS with Blue Screen Error Code 0xc0000185

It is, however, the same error code. Should I pursue this route first?

Please and thank you.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom